I don’t know about you, but at my house, the second the leaves start to turn, it is officially time for comfort food! I love fall flavors! Chicken pot pie, pot roast, anything in a crock pot…basically if it has the word pot in it, I’m on board. Unless pot is followed by the word brownie, in which case I’ll pass. My teenage self would be so disappointed.
The problem with comfort food is that after a while, you start to resemble that pot. Big and round, and comfortable because sweatpants are the only thing that fits. Enter this salad! All the comforting flavors of fall, but a little friendlier to the waistline.
This salad is a delectable combination of baby kale, roasted butternut squash, dried cranberries, candied walnuts, goat cheese, all dressed with an apple cider vinaigrette. Top with some panko crusted chicken, and you’ve got yourself a hearty healthy meal!
- Baby kale
- Basic vinaigrette (made with apple cider vinegar)
- Roasted butternut squash (recipe follows)
- Dried cranberries
- Goat cheese
- Candied walnuts (recipe follows)
- Panko-crusted chicken (recipe follows)
- Combine kale with vinaigrette.
- Top with other ingredients and enjoy!
Roasted Butternut Squash
- 1 butternut squash
- Canola oil
- Salt and pepper
- Place walled cookie sheet in oven.*
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Peel butternut squash and cut into 1/2 inch dice.
- Toss squash with oil, season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put squash on pre-heated cookie sheet and roast for 20-30 minutes until tender and lightly browned, give it a stir about halfway through.
*It’s important to preheat your cookie sheet when roasting veggies! It will help you get caramelization. Caramelization is yummy. End of PSA.
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1-2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp butter
- small splash of orange juice (optional)
- Combine ingredients in a small skillet.
- Place over medium heat.
- Stir constantly until sugar has dissolved and caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Pour walnuts out onto a sheet of parchment paper and separate.
- Let cool.
*You can also add spices (like chile powder, or pumpkin pie spice) to these, or use a different nut!
- Chicken breast cutlets
- Splash of water
- Canola oil
- Salt chicken to taste.
- Set up breading station: flour in one dish, egg and water lightly mixed in one bowl, and panko in a third dish.
- Dredge chicken in flour, then egg wash, then panko.
- Heat skillet over medium high heat. Add and heat oil.
- Add chicken to pan and cook 3-5 minutes per side (depending on thickness) until golden brown and cooked through.